Member Welcome Weekend: Spring Hiking in Crawford Notch
Date and Time
Friday, April 6, 2018 5:00PM - Sunday, April 8, 2018 2:00PM
New Hampshire, White Mountains,
Registration is required for this activity.
(best time to call: 9am - 5pm, Monday - Saturday)
Whether you're a new member or a current member just looking to find out more about the AMC, New Member Weekends are a great introduction to all that AMC and AMC Destinations have to offer. Join a group of adults for a weekend of adventure-based and social activities, including a range of guided hikes to destinations such as Mt. Avalon or Mt. Pierce, and guided outdoor skills programs such as Map & Compass. Enjoy spring hiking at its best: views unobstructed by leaves, cool temperatures, and no bugs! On Saturday evening participants can enjoy a pre-dinner social on Saturday night followed by and after dinner evening program.
Check in to the lodge any time after 3pm.
5:00pmMeet & Greet
7:30pm Welcome & Orientation to AMC
Spring Considerations for Hiking Safety & Tricks for Comfort
PMMap & Compass 101
5:00pmFireside Social Hour
7:30pm Featured Evening Program
AMHalf Day Guided Hike
*Lodging on Friday and Saturday nights
Dinners on Friday and Saturday
Breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday
Lunch on Saturday & Sunday
Free use of equipment and clothing from the L.L. Bean Gear Room
Guided programs and activities throughout the weekend
Past participants say...
•"The guides were really great in all areas; knowledgeable and personable." Participant, April 2016
•"Excellent introduction to AMC, excellent guides, excellent facilities & program." Participant, April 2016
•"Even better than I expected. The guides were amazing; knowledgeable, kind, patient, funny. [Sessions were] very effective; how to layer, gear, etc. was extremely helpful as well as detailed explanations of hike & hike choice." Participant, April 2016.
Address to enter into GPS: U.S. 302, Bretton Woods, NH 03595 (44.22° N, 71.41° W)
From Greater Boston Area:
1. Take I-93 North to NH Exit 35 toward Rt. 3 North.
2. Take Rt. 3 North for 10 miles.
3. Turn right onto Rt. 302 East and continue 8.3 miles to Highland Center,
located on right side of road.
1. Take I-95 North to NH Rt. 16 North (NH exit 4)
2. Follow 16 North to 302/16 Junction in Glen, NH.
3. Continue on to Rt. 302 West. Follow for 15.8 miles to Highland center, located on left side of road.
From Portland, ME:
1. Take Rt. 302 West approximately 90 miles to Highland Center, located on the left side of the road.
1. Take AutoRt. 10 East to AutoRt. 55 South (north of Magog).
2. Take AutoRt. 55 South to I-91 South (at US/Canada line).
3. Take I-91 South to I-93 South (VT Exit 19).
4. Take I-93 South for 22.2 miles to Rt. 302 East (NH Exit 40).
5. Take Rt. 302 East to Highland Center, located on the right side of the road.
From New York City (and Hartford, CT, or western MA):
1. Take I-95 North to I-91 North (Exit 48).
2. Take I-91 North through MA and VT to Rt. 302 East (VT Exit 17).
3. Take Rt. 302 East to Highland Center, located on the right side of the road.
Approximate driving times and mileage to Crawford Notch:
• From Boston, 160 miles, three hours.
• From Portland, 90 miles, two and a half hours.
• From New York City, 360 miles, seven hours.
• From Montreal, 175 miles, three hours and a half hours.
Nearby AMC Destination
Highland Center at Crawford Notch
AMC Guides are passionate about the outdoors and have the skills necessary to ensure safe adventures. Certified in wilderness medicine, with focused training in outdoor leadership and risk management, guides provide individual attention while reaching group goals. They possess local natural and cultural history knowledge and solid backcountry skills, and they follow well-planned itineraries. As lifelong learners, AMC guides create the connections and moments that become lasting memories.