Joe Dodge Lodge,
New Hampshire, White Mountains,
Registration is required for this activity.
(best time to call: best time to call: best time to call: 9am - 5pm, Monday - Saturday)
This two day (Sat and Sun) Map and Compass 101 in the "Outdoor Basics" series is designed for hikers seeking to gain skills in map reading and compass use. The course will offer two days of indoor and outdoor classroom instruction on the basics of using a map and compass.
•Combination of classroom instruction and field time practicing skills
•Multiple hands on activities offered throughout the day
•Critical backcountry skill set in winter environment to enhance learning
•Final assessment includes winter bushwack
•Skill and learning outcomes include:
oBasic map reading. Covers types of map, common map features, and what to look for when purchasing a map.
oOrienting a map using compass and using land features
oBasic compass use. Instruction on basic features of the compass, how to shoot bearings and follow bearings over distance. Covers types of compass and what to look for when purchasing a compass.
oLocating yourself in the wilderness using map and compass and land features
9:00am Classroom Session- Basics of Navigation
12:00 pmSit down lunch
1:00pm-4 pm Field exercises using map & compass
8:30 am Classroom Review of skills
9-11:30 Bushwack on Snowshoes using Map and Compass
12pm Sit down lunch
Driving Directions to Joe Dodge Lodge at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center
Address to enter into GPS: Rt. 16, Gorham, NH 03581 (44.256° N, 71.252° W)
From Greater Boston Area:
1. Take I-93 North to NH Rt. 104 East (NH Exit 23).
2. Take Rt. 104 East for 8.3 miles.
3. Turn left on Rt. 3 North for 0.9 miles.
4. Turn right onto Rt. 25 East for 22.6 miles to Rt. 16 North.
5. Turn left onto Rt. 16 North to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, located on the left side of Rt. 16 approximately 12 miles north of the Glen intersection.
1. Take I-95 North to NH Rt. 16 North (NH exit 4)
2. Follow 16 North approximately 90 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge.
From Portland, ME:
1. Take Rt. 302 West to Rt. 16 North (at North Conway, N.H.).
2. Take Rt. 16 North 20 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, on left.
1. Take AutoRt. 10 East to AutoRt. 55 South (north of Magog).
2. Take AutoRt. 55 South to I-91 South (at US/Canada line).
3. Take I-91 South to I-93 South (VT Exit 19).
4. Take I-93 South for 22.2 miles to Rt. 302 East (NH Exit 40).
5. Take Rt. 302 East for 40.1 miles. Turn left onto Rt. 16 North (in Glen, NH).
6. Take Rt. 16 North 20 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, located on the left.
From New York City (and Hartford, CT, or western MA)
1. Take I-95 North to I-91 North (Exit 48).
2. Take I-91 North through MA and VT to Rt. 302 East (VT Exit 17).
3. Take Rt. 302 East to Rt. 16 North (in Glen, N.H.).
4. Take Rt. 16 North 20 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, located on the left.
Approximate driving times and mileage to Pinkham
• From Boston, 170 miles, three and a half hours.
• From Portland, 80 miles, two and a half hours.
• From New York City, 350 miles, eight hours.
• From Montreal, 225 miles, three hours and forty-five minutes.
Nearby AMC Destinations
Pinkham Notch Visitor Center
Joe Dodge Lodge
AMC Guides are passionate about the outdoors and have the skills necessary to ensure safe adventures. Certified in wilderness medicine, with focused training in outdoor leadership and risk management, guides provide individual attention while reaching group goals. They possess local natural and cultural history knowledge and solid backcountry skills, and they follow well-planned itineraries. As lifelong learners, AMC guides create the connections and moments that become lasting memories.