Lodge to Hut: Women's Snowshoe to Carter Notch Hut
Date and Time
Friday, March 23, 2018 5:00PM - Sunday, March 25, 2018 3:00PM
Joe Dodge Lodge and Carter Notch Hut,
New Hampshire, White Mountains,
Registration is required for this activity.
(best time to call: 9am - 5pm, Monday - Saturday)
This adventure is designed for Women in search of a fun winter experience. Our trip begins with an orientation session and overnight at AMC's Joe Dodge Lodge in Pinkham Notch before we strap on our snowshoes and trek to AMC's backcountry hut in Carter Notch where steaming hot chocolate awaits. Exploring the forest, listening for wintertime birds and investigating animal tracks along the way give us ample opportunity to experience Carter Notch area in winter. One night is spent at the hut preparing a group dinner, checking out the winter sky at night and learning about winter ecology in the White Mountains. The terrain is beginner to moderate and the pace will be comfortable with plenty of time to explore and learn. Led by AMC Guides
Winter Lodge to Hut trips are designed for the experienced 3 season hiker looking to venture into world of winter. Participants must be comfortable carrying a pack over moderate terrain. Our planned mode of travel is on snowshoes (they can be borrowed from AMC if needed), but please keep in mind that conditions can be variable. Participants must be willing/able to carry their extra clothing, sleeping bag and some group food for 3.6 miles to Carter Notch Hut. Hut accommodations are rustic with wood stove heat for the common space and cooking facilities. Bunk rooms are not heated.
Spending the weekend with a group of active womensnowshoe to
Focus on beginner winter skills
Backcountry Hut in winter
Night sky observations
Natural history explorations including animal tracks and snow
6:00pm Check in and Registration
6:00pm Dinner at Joe Dodge Lodge
7:30pmGroup Meeting - Gear check
8:30 Leave for the trailhead
Midday - Arrive at Hut
Afternoon - Optional snowshoe hike around the Hut
6:00pm - Dinner
8:30 - Pack up and depart from Carter
2:00pm - Return to Joe Dodge for hot showers
3:00pm -Wrap up and goodbyes
*Lodging package special includes 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 night lodging at Joe Dodge, 1 night lodging at Carter Notch Hut
•Use of snowshoes
•Instruction and guides
•Free use of demo gear from the Lodge.
Past participants say...
•"Especially good for people interested in backpacking but intimidated. [Our guide was] super proactive in preparation, problem solving, and considering implications of multiple options." Participant, February 2016
•"Loved the hiking and the camaraderie from the group. Great way to try out a new adventure because it's all planned for you and you feel safe with the guides." Participant, February 2016
AMC encourages carpooling to its lodges and huts. You can post a rideshare request on our rideshare bulletin board.
Address to enter into GPS: Rt. 16, Gorham, NH 03581 (44.256° N, 71.252° W)
From Greater Boston Area:
1. Take I-93 North to NH Rt. 104 East (NH Exit 23).
2. Take Rt. 104 East for 8.3 miles.
3. Turn left on Rt. 3 North for 0.9 miles.
4. Turn right onto Rt. 25 East for 22.6 miles to Rt. 16 North.
5. Turn left onto Rt. 16 North to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, located on the left side of Rt. 16 approximately 12 miles north of the Glen intersection.
1. Take I-95 North to NH Rt. 16 North (NH exit 4)
2. Follow 16 North approximately 90 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge.
From Portland, ME:
1. Take Rt. 302 West to Rt. 16 North (at North Conway, N.H.).
2. Take Rt. 16 North 20 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, on left.
1. Take AutoRt. 10 East to AutoRt. 55 South (north of Magog).
2. Take AutoRt. 55 South to I-91 South (at US/Canada line).
3. Take I-91 South to I-93 South (VT Exit 19).
4. Take I-93 South for 22.2 miles to Rt. 302 East (NH Exit 40).
5. Take Rt. 302 East for 40.1 miles. Turn left onto Rt. 16 North (in Glen, NH).
6. Take Rt. 16 North 20 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, located on the left.
From New York City (and Hartford, CT, or western MA):
1. Take I-95 North to I-91 North (Exit 48).
2. Take I-91 North through MA and VT to Rt. 302 East (VT Exit 17).
3. Take Rt. 302 East to Rt. 16 North (in Glen, N.H.).
4. Take Rt. 16 North 20 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, located on the left.
Approximate driving times and mileage to Pinkham:
• From Boston, 170 miles, three and a half hours.
• From Portland, 80 miles, two and a half hours.
• From New York City, 350 miles, eight hours.
• From Montreal, 225 miles, three hours and forty-five minutes.
Nearby AMC Destinations
Carter Notch Hut
Joe Dodge Lodge
AMC Guides are passionate about the outdoors and have the skills necessary to ensure safe adventures. Certified in wilderness medicine, with focused training in outdoor leadership and risk management, guides provide individual attention while reaching group goals. They possess local natural and cultural history knowledge and solid backcountry skills, and they follow well-planned itineraries. As lifelong learners, AMC guides create the connections and moments that become lasting memories.