Thursday, June 7, 2018 5:00PM - Sunday, June 10, 2018 4:00PM
Highland Center at Crawford Notch, Madison Spring Hut, Lakes of the Clouds Hut,
New Hampshire, White Mountains,
Registration is required for this activity.
(best time to call: 9am-5pm, Monday-Saturday)
Join us on this hut-to-hut adventure as we explore the adaptations of plants and animals living in such a challenging yet stunning environment. Beginning with dinner and a comfortable night's lodging at AMC's Highland Center; we gear up for our backcountry adventure. We embark on our hike up the Airline Trail to Madison Spring Hut. The next day we traverse the rocky northern Presidential Range to Lakes of the Clouds Hut giving us ample opportunity to explore the ridge in full summer glory. From Lakes of the Clouds Hut, we end our hike by descending the Ammonoosuc Ravine to the base of Mt. Washington.
This trip involves challenging terrain including steep rocky ascents, uneven footing and exposed terrain above treeline. Weather can change quickly and become quite cold and windy. Participants should be in excellent hiking shape, have proper hiking boots and clothing and be prepared for a summer alpine adventure!
Day One: Check in and Pre-Trip Meeting
5:30pmMeet and Greet Group & Guides
7:00pm Pre hike meeting at Highland Center
Day Two: Our Adventure Begins!
8:30amGroup Meeting & Pack up
9:00amAfter packing up, we drive to the Appalachia Trailhead (40 minutes) and hike 3.8 miles up the Airline Trail to Madison Hut gaining 3500 feet in elevation.
4:00pm Approximate Arrival at Hut, Lunch
Afternoon: Optional Hike: Depending on weather, trail conditions, and group abilities, an afternoon hike may be offered to the summit of Mt. Madison.
Evening: Evening Program with Naturalist
Day Three: Across the Ridge
We continue from Madison Hut across the ridge to Lakes of the Clouds Hut. This is the toughest day of our traverse with 7.2 miles over rough rocky terrain.
Evening: Evening Program with Naturalist
Day Four: The Last Leg
Our last day is a descent from Lakes of the Clouds Hut down either the Jewell Trail (5.2 miles) or the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail (3 miles, steeper), depending on weather, trail conditions, and group abilities.
*Lodging, meals, gear rental, transportation, Book: Passport to AMC's High Huts and Instruction/guides
Past participants say...
"The guides were excellent. Great people skills and just down-to-earth great people." Participant, July 2016
"Highlights were: 1) doing the three tallest summits and 2) the guides!" Participant, July 2016
"It was a wonderful feeling to experience the challenge and to have such knowledgeable, friendly, interesting guides." Participant, July 2014
Driving Directions to Highland Center at Crawford Notch and Shapleigh Bunkhouse
Address to enter into GPS: U.S. 302, Bretton Woods, NH 03595 (44.22° N, 71.41° W)
From Greater Boston Area:
1. Take I-93 North to NH Exit 35 toward Rt. 3 North.
2. Take Rt. 3 North for 10 miles.
3. Turn right onto Rt. 302 East and continue 8.3 miles to Highland Center, located on right side of road.
1. Take I-95 North to NH Rt. 16 North (NH exit 4)
2. Follow 16 North to 302/16 Junction in Glen, NH.
3. Turn right onto Rt. 302 West. Follow for 15.8 miles to Highland center, located on left side of road.
From Portland, ME:
1. Take Rt. 302 West approximately 90 miles to Highland Center, located on the left side of the road.
1. Take AutoRt. 10 East to AutoRt. 55 South (north of Magog).
2. Take AutoRt. 55 South to I-91 South (at US/Canada line).
3. Take I-91 South to I-93 South (VT Exit 19).
4. Take I-93 South for 22.2 miles to Rt. 302 East (NH Exit 40).
5. Take Rt. 302 East to Highland Center, located on the right side of the road.
From New York City (and Hartford, CT, or western MA):
1. Take I-95 North to I-91 North (Exit 48).
2. Take I-91 North through MA and VT to Rt. 302 East (VT Exit 17).
3. Take Rt. 302 East to Highland Center, located on the right side of the road.
Approximate driving times and mileage to Crawford Notch:
• From Boston, 160 miles, three hours.
• From Portland, 90 miles, two and a half hours.
• From New York City, 360 miles, seven hours.
• From Montreal, 175 miles, three hours and a half hours.
Nearby AMC Destinations
Highland Center at Crawford Notch
Lakes of the Clouds Hut
Madison Spring Hut
Mizpah Spring Hut
AMC Guides are passionate about the outdoors and have the skills necessary to ensure safe adventures. Certified in wilderness medicine, with focused training in outdoor leadership and risk management, guides provide individual attention while reaching group goals. They possess local natural and cultural history knowledge and solid backcountry skills, and they follow well-planned itineraries. As lifelong learners, AMC guides create the connections and moments that become lasting memories.