Thursday, July 5, 2018 5:00PM - Sunday, July 8, 2018 4:00PM
Highland Center and Lonesome Lake Hut,
New Hampshire, White Mountains,
Registration is required for this activity.
(best time to call: 9am-5pm, Monday-Saturday)
This program offers a perfect introduction to hut hiking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. After orientation activities and a night's sleep at Highland Lodge in Crawford Notch, we'll begin our adventure with a moderate hike in Crawford Notch. During the afternoon we'll learn and hone our map reading and compass skills, and practice on our orienteering course. On day three we'll make our way to Lonesome Lake Hut, one of the most accessible huts for families and kids. Depending on arrival times at the hut we'll explore the area, including Lonesome Lake right at the hut, or possible hikes out Kinsman Pond or nearby summits. After enjoying the food, traditions, and camaraderie of a night at the hut, we'll descend the next morning back to the valley full of ideas for future hut-to-hut adventures!
•Guided hut overnight
•Pizza lunch on last day
3:00 - 5:00pm Check in at the Highland Center and Registration
5:00pm Family Social Hour
6:00pm Highland Center Buffet Dinner
7:00 pm Welcome Session / Overview of the weekend
9:00am Mt. Willard Hike
~12:00pm Lunch on the trail
1-3pm Map & Compass 101
6:00pm Buffet Dinner
8:30amGroup meeting, depart for trailhead
9:00am Hike to Lonesome Lake Hut
~12:00pm Lunch on the trail or at the hut
1-3pm Optional Afternoon hike (Around the Lake, Kinsman Pond)
6:00pm Family Style Dinner at Lonesome Lake Hut
7:00pm Evening program with naturalist
7:00am Hearty Hut breakfast
8:30am Depart Lonesome Lake Hut for Highland Center
12:00pm Pizza Lunch
Driving Directions to Highland Center at Crawford Notch and Shapleigh Bunkhouse
Address to enter into GPS: U.S. 302, Bretton Woods, NH 03595 (44.22° N, 71.41° W)
From Greater Boston Area:
1. Take I-93 North to NH Exit 35 toward Rt. 3 North.
2. Take Rt. 3 North for 10 miles.
3. Turn right onto Rt. 302 East and continue 8.3 miles to Highland Center, located on right side of road.
1. Take I-95 North to NH Rt. 16 North (NH exit 4)
2. Follow 16 North to 302/16 Junction in Glen, NH.
3. Turn right onto Rt. 302 West. Follow for 15.8 miles to Highland center, located on left side of road.
From Portland, ME:
1. Take Rt. 302 West approximately 90 miles to Highland Center, located on the left side of the road.
1. Take AutoRt. 10 East to AutoRt. 55 South (north of Magog).
2. Take AutoRt. 55 South to I-91 South (at US/Canada line).
3. Take I-91 South to I-93 South (VT Exit 19).
4. Take I-93 South for 22.2 miles to Rt. 302 East (NH Exit 40).
5. Take Rt. 302 East to Highland Center, located on the right side of the road.
From New York City (and Hartford, CT, or western MA):
1. Take I-95 North to I-91 North (Exit 48).
2. Take I-91 North through MA and VT to Rt. 302 East (VT Exit 17).
3. Take Rt. 302 East to Highland Center, located on the right side of the road.
Approximate driving times and mileage to Crawford Notch:
• From Boston, 160 miles, three hours.
• From Portland, 90 miles, two and a half hours.
• From New York City, 360 miles, seven hours.
• From Montreal, 175 miles, three hours and a half hours.
Nearby AMC Destinations
Highland Center at Crawford Notch
Lonesome Lake Hut
AMC Guides are passionate about the outdoors and have the skills necessary to ensure safe adventures. Certified in wilderness medicine, with focused training in outdoor leadership and risk management, guides provide individual attention while reaching group goals. They possess local natural and cultural history knowledge and solid backcountry skills, and they follow well-planned itineraries. As lifelong learners, AMC guides create the connections and moments that become lasting memories.