Lodge to Hut: Women's Hike to Lakes of the Clouds Hut
Date and Time
Friday, July 6, 2018 6:00PM - Sunday, July 8, 2018 4:00PM
Joe Dodge Lodge and Lakes of the Clouds,
New Hampshire, White Mountains,
Registration is required for this activity.
(best time to call: 9am-5pm, Monday-Saturday)
Lakes of the Clouds Hut, highest of all at 5,012 feet above sea level, is one of the most storied locations in the hut system. Our highest and most visited destination, Lakes of the Clouds Hut is an essential bucket list destination and in 2015 celebrated its 100th anniversary of high mountain hospitality. We'll begin with an introductory meeting at AMC Joe Dodge Lodge after dinner. We prepare for our backcountry adventure by focusing on the appropriate gear needed for our trip as well as a review of our itinerary.
After a hearty breakfast we'll pack into an AMC Van for transport to the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail head. We'll hike the moderate 3.1 miles to Lakes of the Clouds. We'll have plenty of time to explore the area around the hut with lighter packs before dinner. We will try to summit Washington in the afternoon or the next morning based on weather conditions.
Backcountry lodging and hearty meals are provided at AMC's Lakes of the Clouds. The following day we will examine the exquisite alpine flowers, discuss alpine adaptations, and compare alpine plant communities on our journey down the Lion's Head Trail overlooking Tuckerman Ravine. Program includes copy of AMC's Passport to the High Huts
This trip involves moderate hiking on steep, rocky terrain. Weather can change quickly and become quite cold and windy above treeline. Participants should be good hiking shape, have proper hiking boots and clothing and be prepared for an alpine adventure!
*Lodging, meals, instruction, transportation, Book: Passport to AMC's High Huts and Instruction/guides
Past participants say...
"All of the instructors were fantastic with people - really and truly fantastic. Made everyone feel welcome and at ease. Bravo to all. They were experts in leading outdoor trips. Leaders' knowledge of birds and other aspects of the environment were shared with a lovely sense of awe and wonder." Adult, Guided Hut-to-Hut, June 2012
"Great program. The instructors were friendly, knowledgeable and well prepared. Thanks for a great trip!" Cynthia, Guided Hut-to-Hut, July 2012
Driving Directions to Joe Dodge Lodge at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center
Address to enter into GPS: Rt. 16, Gorham, NH 03581 (44.256° N, 71.252° W)
From Greater Boston Area:
1. Take I-93 North to NH Rt. 104 East (NH Exit 23).
2. Take Rt. 104 East for 8.3 miles.
3. Turn left on Rt. 3 North for 0.9 miles.
4. Turn right onto Rt. 25 East for 22.6 miles to Rt. 16 North.
5. Turn left onto Rt. 16 North to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, located on the left side of Rt. 16 approximately 12 miles north of the Glen intersection.
1. Take I-95 North to NH Rt. 16 North (NH exit 4)
2. Follow 16 North approximately 90 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge.
From Portland, ME:
1. Take Rt. 302 West to Rt. 16 North (at North Conway, N.H.).
2. Take Rt. 16 North 20 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, on left.
1. Take AutoRt. 10 East to AutoRt. 55 South (north of Magog).
2. Take AutoRt. 55 South to I-91 South (at US/Canada line).
3. Take I-91 South to I-93 South (VT Exit 19).
4. Take I-93 South for 22.2 miles to Rt. 302 East (NH Exit 40).
5. Take Rt. 302 East for 40.1 miles. Turn left onto Rt. 16 North (in Glen, NH).
6. Take Rt. 16 North 20 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, located on the left.
From New York City (and Hartford, CT, or western MA):
1. Take I-95 North to I-91 North (Exit 48).
2. Take I-91 North through MA and VT to Rt. 302 East (VT Exit 17).
3. Take Rt. 302 East to Rt. 16 North (in Glen, N.H.).
4. Take Rt. 16 North 20 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, located on the left.
Approximate driving times and mileage to Joe Dodge Lodge:
• From Boston, 170 miles, three and a half hours.
• From Portland, 80 miles, two and a half hours.
• From New York City, 350 miles, eight hours.
• From Montreal, 225 miles, three hours and forty-five minutes.
Nearby AMC Destinations
Lakes of the Clouds Hut
Joe Dodge Lodge
AMC Guides are passionate about the outdoors and have the skills necessary to ensure safe adventures. Certified in wilderness medicine, with focused training in outdoor leadership and risk management, guides provide individual attention while reaching group goals. They possess local natural and cultural history knowledge and solid backcountry skills, and they follow well-planned itineraries. As lifelong learners, AMC guides create the connections and moments that become lasting memories.