AMC offers the perfect 3-day program for you and your little ones to explore the outdoors! Designed for families with 3-5 year old kids, Wee Wanderers Family Explorations will tap into and encourage the natural curiosity of young children as we explore the natural world around Cardigan Lodge. At a quiet, roadside location amid a beautiful, AMC-owned, 1,200-acre reservation, Cardigan is the ideal place for families to connect with the outdoors and each other. Our experienced guides will lead fun activities while balancing the needs for activity and rest. Pond discovery, nature trail exploration, and a visit to the nearby Squam Lakes Science Center will help introduce kids to the animals and other inhabitants of the Lakes region. Outdoor sessions involve walking less than a mile on uneven terrain for pond discovery and nature trail exploration. Indoor sessions include stories and craft time.
3:00pm Check in and afternoon snack
Nature trail exploration and intro games
7:30pm Stories by the campfire
Full day of outdoor activities and exploration, featured day hike to Welton Falls
Evening barbecue and night walk to explore the sounds of field and forest
Morning visit to Squam Lakes Science Center to learn about native animals in their habitats
Lunch & Goodbyes
Address to enter into GPS: 774 Shem Valley Rd, Alexandria, NH 03222 (43.649° N, 71.876° W)
From Greater Boston Area:
1. Take I-93 North to Rt. 104 West (Exit 23, New Hampton, N.H.).
2. Take Rt. 104 West for 6 miles to Rt. 3A North in Bristol, N.H.
3. Follow directions below from Bristol.
From New York City, Hartford, CT, or western MA
1. Take I-95 North to I-91 North (Exit 48).
2. Take I-91 North through MA and VT to I-89 South (VT Exit 10S).
3. Take I-89 South to Rt. 4 East (NH Exit 17).
4. Take Rt. 4 East for 25 miles to Danbury, N.H.
5. In Danbury, take Rt. 104 East for 5.5 miles.
6. Turn left onto Cass Mill Road and go about 3.5 miles.
7. Turn right onto Washburn Road.
8. Cross a bridge, then take the first left onto Mount Cardigan Road.
9. Follow Bristol directions below, starting with number 7.
From Bristol, N.H.:
1. Take Rt. 3A North toward Plymouth for 2.1 miles.
2. Turn left onto West Shore Road at the blinking light (Our Lady of Grace stone church is on the far left corner).
3. Proceed 1.9 miles and then go straight onto Cardigan Mountain Road where West Shore Road turns right.
4. Go 1 mile on Cardigan Mountain Road, then turn left onto North Road.
5. Go 1 mile on North Road, then right onto Washburn Road in Alexandria, N.H.
6. Go 200 yards and bear right onto Mount Cardigan Road.
7. Follow Mount Cardigan Road for 3.6 miles, and stay left at the intersection with Brook Road.
8. Take Shem Valley Road 1.5 miles to Cardigan Lodge (stay right at the fork in the road at 100 yards).
For safety, please observe the posted speed limit of 30 MPH on these rural residential roads with gravel surfaces.
Approximate driving times to Cardigan
Times may vary greatly depending on driving style, traffic, and road conditions:
• From Bristol, twenty-five minutes.
• From Boston, two and a half hours.
• From New York, six hours.
Nearby AMC Destination
AMC Guides are passionate about the outdoors and have the skills necessary to ensure safe adventures. Certified in wilderness medicine, with focused training in outdoor leadership and risk management, guides provide individual attention while reaching group goals. They possess local natural and cultural history knowledge and solid backcountry skills, and they follow well-planned itineraries. As lifelong learners, AMC guides create the connections and moments that become lasting memories.