Lodge to Hut: Mount Washington Climb & High Hut Overnight
Date and Time
Monday, July 16, 2018 5:00PM - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 4:00PM
Highland Center and Lakes of the Clouds Hut,
New Hampshire, White Mountains,
Registration is required for this activity.
(best time to call: 9am-5pm, Monday-Saturday)
Join an AMC Guide on an attempt to summit New England's highest peak, Mount Washington. At 6,288' the "rock pile" should be on everyone's bucket list. Often underestimated due to its low elevation for a summit above treeline, and it's relatively short mileage. This challenging hike may be difficult for some to accomplish in one day, so we will take advantage of Lakes of the Clouds Hut and spend the night, hiking back down the next day.
With an experienced AMC Guide you'll hike at a moderate pace to Lakes of the Clouds via the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail. We'll stop at the hut for a rest and lunch. With lighter packs we'll continue up the 1.5 miles to the summit of Mount Washington. We'll explore the summit, take pictures on the "rock pile" and hike back down to the hut for the night. After a well-deserved dinner and evening program we'll take to our bunks for the night.
The next day we will hike back down the Jewell Trail to a van that will transport us back to the Highland Center at Crawford Notch.
This trip involves moderate hiking on steep, rocky terrain. Weather can change quickly and become quite cold and windy above treeline. Participants should be good hiking shape, have proper hiking boots and clothing and be prepared for an alpine adventure!
Day One: Check in and Pre-Trip Meeting
5:30pmMeet and Greet Group & Guides
7:00pm Pre hike meeting at Highland Center
Day Two: Our Adventure Begins!
8:30amGroup Meeting & Pack up
9:00amAfter packing up, we drive to the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trailhead (20 minutes) and hike 2.5 miles up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail to Lakes of the Clouds Hut, gaining 2500 feet in elevation.
4:00pm Approximate Arrival at Hut, Lunch
Afternoon Summit Attempt: Depending on weather, trail conditions, and group abilities, we will attempt to hike a further 1.5 miles up to the summit of Mt. Washington, and back down to the hut.
EveningEvening Program with Naturalist
Day Three: Last Leg
Our last day is a descent from Lakes of the Clouds Hut down either the Jewell Trail (5.2 miles) or the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail (3 miles, steeper), depending on weather, trail conditions, and group abilities. Mt. Washington Summit may be attempted if weather conditions did not permit the day prior.
*Lodging, meals, gear rental, transportation, Book: Passport to AMC's High Huts and Instruction/guides
Past participants say...
All of the instructors were fantastic with people - really and truly fantastic. Made everyone feel welcome and at ease. Bravo to all. They were experts in leading outdoor trips. Leaders' knowledge of birds and other aspects of the environment were shared with a lovely sense of awe and wonder. - Adult, Guided Hut-to-Hut, June 2012
Great program. The instructors were friendly, knowledgeable and well prepared. Thanks for a great trip! - Cynthia, Guided Hut-to-Hut, July 2012
Driving Directions to Highland Center at Crawford Notch and Shapleigh Bunkhouse
Address to enter into GPS: U.S. 302, Bretton Woods, NH 03595 (44.22° N, 71.41° W)
From Greater Boston Area:
1. Take I-93 North to NH Exit 35 toward Rt. 3 North.
2. Take Rt. 3 North for 10 miles.
3. Turn right onto Rt. 302 East and continue 8.3 miles to Highland Center, located on right side of road.
1. Take I-95 North to NH Rt. 16 North (NH exit 4)
2. Follow 16 North to 302/16 Junction in Glen, NH.
3. Turn right onto Rt. 302 West. Follow for 15.8 miles to Highland center, located on left side of road.
From Portland, ME:
1. Take Rt. 302 West approximately 90 miles to Highland Center, located on the left side of the road.
1. Take AutoRt. 10 East to AutoRt. 55 South (north of Magog).
2. Take AutoRt. 55 South to I-91 South (at US/Canada line).
3. Take I-91 South to I-93 South (VT Exit 19).
4. Take I-93 South for 22.2 miles to Rt. 302 East (NH Exit 40).
5. Take Rt. 302 East to Highland Center, located on the right side of the road.
From New York City (and Hartford, CT, or western MA):
1. Take I-95 North to I-91 North (Exit 48).
2. Take I-91 North through MA and VT to Rt. 302 East (VT Exit 17).
3. Take Rt. 302 East to Highland Center, located on the right side of the road.
Approximate driving times and mileage to Crawford Notch:
• From Boston, 160 miles, three hours.
• From Portland, 90 miles, two and a half hours.
• From New York City, 360 miles, seven hours.
• From Montreal, 175 miles, three hours and a half hours.
Nearby AMC Destinations
Highland Center at Crawford Notch
Lakes of the Clouds Hut
AMC Guides are passionate about the outdoors and have the skills necessary to ensure safe adventures. Certified in wilderness medicine, with focused training in outdoor leadership and risk management, guides provide individual attention while reaching group goals. They possess local natural and cultural history knowledge and solid backcountry skills, and they follow well-planned itineraries. As lifelong learners, AMC guides create the connections and moments that become lasting memories.