Mount Washington Day Hike: Summiting the Rock Pile
Date and Time
Saturday, August 4, 2018, 7:30AM - 5:00PM
Joe Dodge Lodge,
New Hampshire, White Mountains,
Registration is required for this activity.
Join an AMC Guide on an attempt to summit New England's highest peak, Mount Washington. At 6,288' the "rock pile" towers over the surrounding peaks and should be on everyone's bucket list. Often underestimated due to its low elevation for a summit above treeline, and it's relatively short mileage. Known for its extreme weather r including the highest land wind speed ever recorded, at 4.2 miles one way, this will be an exciting and challenging hike.
*Rates include guided instruction and trail lunch.
Driving Directions to Joe Dodge Lodge at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center
Address to enter into GPS: Rt. 16, Gorham, NH 03581 (44.256° N, 71.252° W)
From Greater Boston Area:
1. Take I-93 North to NH Rt. 104 East (NH Exit 23).
2. Take Rt. 104 East for 8.3 miles.
3. Turn left on Rt. 3 North for 0.9 miles.
4. Turn right onto Rt. 25 East for 22.6 miles to Rt. 16 North.
5. Turn left onto Rt. 16 North to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, located on the left side of Rt. 16 approximately 12 miles north of the Glen intersection.
1. Take I-95 North to NH Rt. 16 North (NH exit 4)
2. Follow 16 North approximately 90 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge.
From Portland, ME:
1. Take Rt. 302 West to Rt. 16 North (at North Conway, N.H.).
2. Take Rt. 16 North 20 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, on left.
1. Take AutoRt. 10 East to AutoRt. 55 South (north of Magog).
2. Take AutoRt. 55 South to I-91 South (at US/Canada line).
3. Take I-91 South to I-93 South (VT Exit 19).
4. Take I-93 South for 22.2 miles to Rt. 302 East (NH Exit 40).
5. Take Rt. 302 East for 40.1 miles. Turn left onto Rt. 16 North (in Glen, NH).
6. Take Rt. 16 North 20 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, located on the left.
From New York City (and Hartford, CT, or western MA)
1. Take I-95 North to I-91 North (Exit 48).
2. Take I-91 North through MA and VT to Rt. 302 East (VT Exit 17).
3. Take Rt. 302 East to Rt. 16 North (in Glen, N.H.).
4. Take Rt. 16 North 20 miles to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center/Joe Dodge Lodge, located on the left.
Approximate driving times and mileage to Pinkham
• From Boston, 170 miles, three and a half hours.
• From Portland, 80 miles, two and a half hours.
• From New York City, 350 miles, eight hours.
• From Montreal, 225 miles, three hours and forty-five minutes.
Nearby AMC Destinations
Pinkham Notch Visitor Center
Joe Dodge Lodge
AMC Guides are passionate about the outdoors and have the skills necessary to ensure safe adventures. Certified in wilderness medicine, with focused training in outdoor leadership and risk management, guides provide individual attention while reaching group goals. They possess local natural and cultural history knowledge and solid backcountry skills, and they follow well-planned itineraries. As lifelong learners, AMC guides create the connections and moments that become lasting memories.